Operating Systems for Distributed Systems
In this lecture we discuss foundations and generic algorithms of distributed system software. This includes:
- Goals and Evaluation of Distributed Systems
- Basic Distributed Algorithms
- Synchronization and Clocks
- Distributed States (Mutex, Termination, Snapshots)
- Virtual Distributed Memory
- Distributed Transactions
For this course, students should have preknowledge in the following areas:
- Concepts of Operating Systems
- Concepts of Computer Communication
- Chapter 1:Administration
- Chapter 2:Characterization
- Chapter 3:Case Studies of Distributed Operating Systems
- Chapter 4: Architectures
- Chapter 5: Group Communication
- Chapter 6: Clock Synchronization
- Chapter 7: Logical Clocks
- Chapter 8: Mutual Exclusion
- Chapter 9: Leader Election
- Birmann et al: Lightweight Causal and Atomic Group Multicast
- L. Lamport: Time, Clocks, and the Ordering of Events in a Distributed System
- There is an oral exam.
- You have to register with the Central Examination Office.
- If you are registered, you can select an examination slot.
- The dates of the examination slots will be published seasonably.